Skip to content

State Authorization and Grievance

State Authorization

All colleges and universities are required to follow the laws and regulations of each state and territory in which they operate. Bob Jones University is currently working to gain exemption or authorization to offer distance learning to students in as many states as possible; however, some state authorization processes limit our ability to offer courses to residents of those states.

BJU is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), which authorizes BJU to offer distance learning in any state that is also a member of SARA.

BJU is authorized to operate in the following SARA states and territories.
  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virgin Islands
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
BJU has complied with state laws and may offer distance learning in the following non-SARA states and territories.
  • American Samoa
  • California
  • Guam
  • Marshall Islands
  • Micronesia
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Palau

Grievance Policy and Procedures

Bob Jones University seeks to resolve all student complaints in a fair and expedient manner. Students wishing to file a formal complaint must first seek resolution through BJU’s institutional grievance procedures.

If the complaint cannot be resolved internally, students may also file a complaint with the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) or the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC), our accrediting bodies.

In addition, each state has a mechanism in place for state residents to lodge complaints against postsecondary educational institutions. A list of the contact information for each state’s authorizing agency is available in the State Complaint Information.

Please be aware that TRACS, SACSCOC, and state agencies will expect the student to have exhausted Bob Jones University’s internal grievance policy before filing a complaint.